THE CONTENTMENT CHALLENGE: MONTH 1


I posted a few instagram photos about The Contentment Challenge last week, and wanted to explain what this challenge is all about:)

Nancey Ray, a sweet blogger I stalk follow, challenged her readers to 3 months of simplicity aka not shopping for unnecessary items such as clothes, accessories, and decor. I admired her when she started this challenge last April thinking, "What a great idea".  Then I scrolled to my next blog of the day, as I mentally wished her good luck in her endeavours.

Fast forward a few months and I start seeing this challenge surface on my instagram, especially from another of my daily reads, Katie O'Keefe! The more I saw this challenge surfacing, the more it weighed on my heart.  I am not a frivolous shopper or extreme purchaser of accessories, but I did notice a pattern starting - I was no longer being intentional about what I was purchasing or appreciating what I already had. I didn't like that. This year one of my goals was to continually work toward a grateful and content heart. I want to be a woman of joy, and joy comes from contentment and contentment stems from gratitude, and gratitude leads back to.......joy.  Ask Ann Vonskomp, she said so :)

On that note, I accepted the challenge!

I am currently a few weeks into this challenge and am already starting to see my priorities shift - and I like it! I want the next 3 months to be dedicated to Intentional living. Where my focus is not on what I want, but on what I have. Where I begin to clear the clutter and learn to give, instead of just receive. I think a big mistake I have made over the years is believing that in searching for yourself and your own desires, you find yourself; but rather, it is when we lose ourselves, we truly find ourselves. It is in letting go of us and giving, that we find that fulfillment in life we all seek.  So three cheers to the next few months of giving, instead of receiving, purchasing, and wanting. And one big good luck cheer that I make it through :)

I will keep you posted on the next few months and would love for you to join in.  Below is what this Contentment Challenge is all about via Nancy Ray:

The Contentment Challenge 
We will give up shopping for clothes, accessories, household decor, and "stuff" for 3 months, to focus our hearts and minds on the root of true contentment. We will actively pursue fulfilling activities that will replace our addiction to material things.

The Guidelines:
• Choose 1-3 inspiring books to read during this time.  I would recommend any of the following: SevenWeirdThe Celebration of Discipline1000 GiftsKisses from Katie. (Feel free to leave additional recommendations in the comments!)
• Gifts are okay! If someone gives you a new dress or piece of decor during that time, receive it graciously! If you need to buy someone else a gift, by all means, do so. The point is not to be rude, but to learn more of ourselves and the Lord.
• Necessities are okay! If you drop and break your phone, please go get a new one! If you lose your glasses, buy a new pair. Just don't start justifying new purchases for items that you already have. ("I really NEED this bathing suit, even though there are 8 in my closet already.")
• You must actively pursue something - anything - that replaces your tendency to buy stuff. Begin thinking about something you love or a hobby you've always wanted to do, and make preparations to actually do it.

_______________________________

PS. More photos from the above photo shoot coming your way soon ;) 
With a grateful heart,
XOXO always,
Sheila

- Live simply - intentionally - gratefully - joyfully -

0 comments:

« »
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The FailteHouse All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger

 
Pin It button on image hover